A friend sent me this brilliant tip via twitter the other day.
OSX mail.app is a really sweet desktop mail application with built in gmail support.
After using mine for about a year, it had become kinda slow – I didn’t really notice how slow until I tried this tip:
1. Close mail.app
2. Open terminal
3. Type the following in to terminal:
sqlite3 ~/Library/Mail/Envelope\ Index
4. You should now have a sqlite prompt (sqlite>).
5. At the sqlite> prompt, type:
6. After the prompt returns (may take a few seconds), you can Control-D to exit.
7. Restart mail – it should be noticeably faster!